Monday, September 15, 2008

R.I.P. Rick Wright

... and I am not frightened of dying,
any time will do, I don't mind.
Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you gotta go sometime....

-- The Great Gig in the Sky (Dark Side Of the Moon)

Yes, indeed... everyone has to gotta go sometime... but the suddenness of this event can be so shocking and mind-numbing! It's been around 2 hours since I read about Wright, and it just fails to sink in! The music he composed is sooo immensely expressive and beautiful, even if it was on the morbid issues of death or insanity... the feeling of sheer ecstacy in 'The Great Gig in the Sky', the mind-blowing 'Echoes', or the beautiful sense of calmness in 'Remember A Day' or, the enchantingly glorious 'Us and Them'....

And now, as I was trudging back home from the university, with DSOtM flowing in my ears, I had a very poignant experience.
Through the branches of a tree with yellowing and decaying leaves, I suddenly saw a magnificent full moon that was so abundant with life... and at the same time, the magical piano that introduces 'The Great Gig in the Sky' began on my ipod... I was almost moved to tears!

Nature possesses such remarkable ways to convey to us, the circle of life & death... and Pink Floyd was, is and will be, undoubtedly the best way Nature chose, to express the same into words and music!

Shine on, Rick... we'll miss you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home